If you want to do an Amazon bestseller campaign, there’s a little bit of planning involved to give you the best chance of success.
You must think about this early on before your ebook is uploaded – that way you can plan exactly when you want to do it, and if you are getting help from a third party (a self-publishing or marketing company) you can start planning it with them.
- Try to list your ebook in a category that doesn’t have a lot of ebooks to compete against. For example, the Marketing category will have more books that the train set category (your book will need to be about train sets if you want that exclusive category).
- You will need to encourage people to purchase the book at around the same time. So, choose a timeframe. The best approach is to aim for as many people as possible to purchase the book on the same day.
- Reduce the ebook price, to encourage people to buy. Drop your ebook price a few days before starting promotions about the day you want people to buy. It can take up to 10 days for Amazon to change the price (although in our experience they usually do it in 24-48 hours). If someone else is managing your ebook, make sure you tell them which day you want the price dropped (and which day it should be returned to the RRP).
- TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. Post it on social media, ring your mum, email your mailing list, call in those favours. Try to get people to purchase the ebook from Amazon on the same day (within the same hour would be even better). This is how you can become a bestseller. Amazon updates the bestseller lists about every two hours, so if your book gets enough sales in that time frame then you’re an Amazon bestseller – congratulations!
- If you have set a particular day or time for people to purchase the book, remind them closer to that date or time.
- Watch the bestseller lists on Amazon for the category/ies your book is in, and keep refreshing the page until (hopefully!) you see your book on the list. If you have told people a particular time to buy the book then that should be the time you keep an eye on the site.
- Take a screenshot of your book on the bestseller list, and use this as a promotional tool. And to show to your English teacher at the next school reunion.
A number of our authors have achieved Amazon bestseller status with this approach. Just plan for it and then promote the hell out of it.