One of the never-ending problems of being a small business owner is setting yourself apart from your competitors in a crowded marketplace. You’ve probably tried advertising, social media, publicity, and many of the other usual suspects. But there is one option that is more accessible today than ever before that not many business owners consider: writing and publishing a book.
Don’t think a book is for you? That’s precisely why you should consider it. Publishing a book for your business is something not many people do, which is why it is such a great way to boost your business. It instantly sets you apart.
The benefits of publishing a book
I’ve worked in publishing for business for 19 years. I’ve worked with hundreds of authors and seen them achieve all sorts of different benefits for their businesses. Let’s have a look at just some of them:
- Writing and publishing a book has always been a great way to demonstrate that you are an expert and thought leader in your field. It allows you to demonstrate your knowledge and expertise, and make your contribution to the important issues in your industry.
- It’s a great way to connect. You can send a copy of your book to other leading people in your industry. Send it to journalists, and potential clients when they contact you, and to old clients you haven’t heard from in a while. When you are at a conference and everybody else is handing out business cards, blow everybody away by giving out copies of your book.
- $12,000 might buy you some advertising space in a newspaper or magazine, or you can use that money to publish your book and get the same amount of space in the form of a review – and then you still have 199 copies of your book to generate more publicity for yourself and your business. How’s that for value for money? Plus, a good review always has much more credibility than an advertisement, because it’s an independent endorsement.
- Time and time again I’ve seen authors gain speaking engagements as a result of publishing a book. One of our authors recently gained three speaking engagements at a major conference. In one of these she spoke to 200 people in her target market, and afterwards just about every single one of them lined up to purchase a copy of her book. How often do you get to talk to 200 potential clients in one place?
- Our authors regularly appear in the media as a result of publishing their book, including radio, newspapers, magazines, blogs, industry publications, websites and – sometimes – television. This is a great way to leverage your book.
- Writing and publishing a book is also great for your reputation because it shows you can commit to a major project and see it through. It is a significant commitment, which is why most people shy away from it. And that’s precisely why those who do take this path reap such great benefits.
I’ve been doing this for a long time, and I’ve seen business owners achieve these benefits over and over again. If you put in the time and effort to write and publish a high-quality book and use it well in your business, the benefits can be startling.
So, what are you waiting for? What could you write about that would set you apart in your field and boost your business? I bet you can think of five different book ideas for your business right now. Why don’t you have a go …