One thing that many authors don’t think about until the last minute is the author photo on the back of the book. Although it’s not essential, it’s a good idea to have an author photo. It allows your readers to identify with you.
Many authors have professional images ready to go, but if you don’t, here are some suggestions for getting a good author photo for your book:
- Start thinking about your author photo early, not at the last minute, so you have time to get a good photo organised.
- If you have the time and money to enlist a professional photographer, that’s great. But if not, at least try to enlist the help of a friend or family member who is a skilled photographer and has a good camera – not just the camera on their phone.
- Have a think about the appropriate image for your book. If your book is about financial planning, you’d usually want to be wearing professional attire in an office environment. If your book is about how to improve your running ability, maybe a photo of you in your running gear is appropriate.
- Think about the background of your image. Try a few different backgrounds, poses and outfits, to give yourself some options.
- Think about the lighting, too . Direct sunlight is usually best avoided because it causes harsh shadows.
Your photo is only one small element of your cover, but it’s important to get it right. A photo of you in thongs and a t-shirt could ruin an otherwise great cover.