A WISE INVESTMENT
You will have to put some money into your book to have it published, but it’s important to see this as an investment rather than a cost. If you publish to a high standard and use your book well in your business, it will more than return this investment, usually many times over.
To help you decide how much to invest in your book, have a think about what it will be worth to your business. If you sign clients up to $5000 contracts, you only need to sign a few clients as a result of your publishing to cover the investment in your book, and that’s usually easily done.
If the value of each of your clients is lower, have a think about the publicity the book is likely to generate and the business this will drive for you. An ad in a magazine can cost $10,000. Would a book generate more publicity? For sure. You only need to get one article or review about the book in that same or a similar magazine to receive the same coverage, and then you still have all the other things you can do with the book.
Following are some indicative costs to self-publish a 40,000-word book. Services and options will differ with different suppliers, but this information will help point you in the right direction. The figures I’ve provided cover the range for what you can expect to pay to have your book produced by an experienced professional.
So let’s have a look (all figures include GST):
- Manuscript assessment (optional): $500 to $1000.
- Developmental edit (optional): $500 to $2000.
- Copyedit: $1600 to $3200. Will be at the lower end if you write well and have worked on your manuscript a lot before sending it to the editor.
- Interior layout: $1600 to $3200. Will be at the lower end if your book is mostly text. Will be at the higher end if you have many different styles of text or lots of images, tables, diagrams and the like.
- Cover: $400 to $1500.
- Proofreading: $600 to $900.
- Indexing: $600 to $2000.
- ISBNs: Free to about $70 each.
- Barcodes: Free to about $70 each.
- Project management and publishing advice: $1000 to $3000.
- Printing: Giving a price range on printing is very difficult because there are so many variables, but here are some sample specifications and some indicative prices. These specifications are very common for a business book.
Cover board: 240 GSM- grams per square metre, weight of the paper
Full-colour cover with gloss lamination
Text paper: 80 GSM
Perfect binding- most common form of book binding
100 copies: $700 to $1300
200 copies: $1300 to $2200
500 copies: $2200 to $3500
1000 copies: $3500 to $5000
Many variables are involved in the process of publishing a book and the investment required will vary accordingly. As with anything, you will also pay according to the level of skill and experience of the service provider you are using; expect to pay less for an editor who has been in the game for just a few years and more for a professional who has 20 years of experience. When you speak to a service provider, they will be able to provide you with costs for your book after some discussion with you and looking at your manuscript.